Thursday, September 26, 2013

On a Side Note: Health & Feminism

As school gets busier and busier I am having trouble trying to balance physical activity and staying on top of all my school work.

I truly believe that happiness goes hand-in-hand with a balanced life--too much of one thing is never good. For me, the hardest thing about being a student isn't the late night cramming or reading material, it's not being able to get a time for myself to keep my mind clear.

In addition to finding great student deals in our local restaurants, I want to start using this blog to track my personal progress in terms of healthy lifestyle management.

If I make physical activity a priority, I am hoping that my energy level will increase and I will be able to accomplish more in my day. So please, wish me luck!

and ON A SIDE NOTE:

I would like to share a link to a friend's blog. It is called Paula vs Patriarchy, and yesterday she shared her thoughts on the University of Manitoba's Student Association President Al Turnbull. Recently, while trying to promote the use of the U of M library, Turnbull Instagramed a picture of a woman and accompanied it with the caption, "Yup that's right, I'll tutor you and check out your cleavage free of charge."

You'd think that in light of the recent events at St. Mary's and UBC, that student officials across Canada would be making smart choices when it comes to public messages and use of social media--especially when it involves controversial content. Instead, Turnbull is just another example of how our hyper-sexualized world is making it more and more common to see ignorant and sexist comments like these.

Not to say that every man is like Turnbull--we all know that is not the case.

Many justify the comment by saying that it's just a joke, but let's keep in mind that Turnbull's job as an elected student leader is to represent the values and goals of ALL students at the U of M.

Unless sexism, the objectification of woman, and an embarrassing lack of professionalism is a value that U of M students share, I urge everyone to think twice about what kind of "man" has been elected to lead the UMSU.

Paula does a great job of explaining the situation in more detail here. So please check it out!

This change of blog-pace was nice, but next week I promise to get back in action and continue to search for the restaurants for poor students.

Hopefully I will also go on a run or two.

AM




No comments:

Post a Comment